Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga creates the support and intuitive knowledge for moms-to-be throughout their pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum experience. This program is a comprehensive approach to prenatal support through the spectrum of yoga philosophies, practices as well as Ayurveda, and knowledge of birthing choices. During this course, you will learn how to support women during the different stages of pregnancy through the use of yoga in order to prepare mom body, mind and spirit in this new stage of life.
This training was designed for:
200-hour /500-hour yoga teachers
Experienced yoga students (with permission from the instructor)
Birth Workers & Professionals (childbirth educators, doulas, midwives, nurses, OB/GYN’s, etc.) interested in learning how yoga can benefit their clients and how to add yoga to their care modalities
Our comprehensive curriculum fully covers the fundamentals of prenatal yoga, prenatal anatomy,
teaching pre and postnatal yoga, and a teaching practicum.
This training has been split into three modules:
Module 1: Foundations & Teaching Methodologies
Upon completion of this module, students will have the tools to teach prenatal yoga students.
- Basic prenatal anatomy
- Prenatal posture variations, contraindications & therapeutic benefits
- Class design for each trimester
- Flow and restorative yoga practices
- Kundalini yoga approach
- Physical & emotional support for mom
- Practice Teaching & Feedback
Module 2: Deeper Offerings & Teaching Methodologies
This module expands upon the first and offers deeper knowledge of the subtle body, Ayurveda & yoga philosophies.
- Ayurveda for pregnancy & postpartum support
- Subtle body & energetics of yoga
- Pranayama & meditation techniques
- Yoga philosophies for prenatal time of life
- Overview of birthing choices, techniques & healthcare professionals
- Practice Teaching & Feedback
Module 3: Anatomy & Postnatal Methods
This module will emphasize on anatomy & physiology, postnatal yoga and final teaching practicums.
- Prenatal posture variations, contraindications and therapeutic benefits
- Anatomy and Physiology of the prenatal & postnatal body
- Unique class offerings for prenatal support
- Postpartum care: emotional & physical
- Mommy & Me Yoga & Infant Massage
- Business & ethics of prenatal yoga
- Final Teaching Practicums & Feedback
What you need to do.
- Students are required to attend all contact hours during the program.
- Complete non-contact hour assignments
- Attend eight prenatal yoga classes outside of training hours either at Radiance Yoga or elsewhere.
This program is open to all practitioners interested in deepening their knowledge of Prenatal Yoga. In order to register with Yoga Alliance as an RPYT (Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher) you must be a RYT 200hr certified yoga teacher. After completing training graduates must also teach 30 hours of prenatal yoga before they may register as Registered Prenatal Yoga Teachers (RPYT®s). These hours of prenatal yoga must be taught after graduating from a RPYS. Learn more here.Apply here
Dates & times
2019 Dates TBD
Cost & registration
More details to come
Meet our Teacher Training faculty.
Learn more about our Teacher Training programs from personal experiences of our students.
"Although my 200YTT covered prenatal yoga, I was not quite confident enough to teach a group of expecting moms. Rachel’s 85-hour Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training covered an extremely wide range of perspectives on prenatal yoga, and in addition, her guest speakers’ sessions offered highly expertized analyses, practical knowledge, and unforgettable emotional stories. I have one child, although I have experienced multiple pregnancies, and his birth is definitely the highlight of my life. Each week of the training was an intimate emotional journey to the deep self and realization of a woman’s power and strength. Rachel’s thoughtful personality and deep wisdom helped us prepare create a bountiful prenatal yoga. I feel incredibly fortunate that this training brought me the opportunity to engage with new moms and support the community."
"I enjoyed the wealth of knowledge and resources made available through guest presenters and Rachel as well as the community building and bonding. The training was thorough and well organized!"
"I enjoyed the whole program. It was well organized and professional. The guest speakers had a wealth of knowledge and where all so very gracious to have come in and share their experience and knowledge. Rachel was such an awesome instructor. I felt the warmth from her and the other Teacher Trainees. The material was above and beyond what I had expected. I would like to say “Thank You” to Radiance for put on such an upscale and knowledgeable program. It was well worth my time and money."
What you will need to start with our Teacher Training.
Your commitment and 100% participation will be required at every session.
A positive attitude – a sense of openness and a desire to learn are truly the most important things you can bring to this training.
Like all great things in life, the more you put into this training, the more you’ll get from it. That starts before you arrive. Although there is no required reading for this training program, there are some books that you might find helpful. Below is a list of required reading. Books are purchased at the trainee’s expense, and can be picked up in our boutique, at a local bookstore or on Amazon.
- Yamas & Niyamas by Deborah Adele
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda
- Yoga for Pregnancy by Leslie Lekos and Megan Westgate
- Yoga Mama, Yoga Baby: Ayurveda and Yoga for Healthy Pregnancy and Birth by by Margo Shapiro Bachman M.D. and Vasant Lad BAMS MA Sc
- Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body, and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond by Nancy Bardacke
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- The Pregnant Body Book by Dr. Sarah Brewer, Shaoni Bhattacharya, Dr. Justine Davies, Dr. Sheena Meredith, and Dr. Penny Preston
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful: Experience the Natural Power of Pregnancy and Birth with Kundalini Yoga and Meditation Kindle Edition by Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa
Upon arrival, students will receive a Capricious Yogi Teacher Training Manual, which will serve as the master course curriculum & guide.